It’s been a while since the last update! I have mostly been working on the commununication between ROS and the servos, and now have a working read-write ROS servo interface, but will post about this later.
In the meanwhile, I added a bar display made up of 10 green LEDs for information feedback, as well as 4 blue decorative LEDs. I then moved the breadboarded electronics to a more permanent prototype board. I was initially hoping to make a box-shaped board which could fit nicely inside the Bioloid’s hollow “groin”, and would have the LED bar display in the front. However the USB cable connector protruded too much, so the LED bar will have to sit one side of the board. I also managed to squeeze the IMU on the underside of the board. There is still some room above the board, so I may be able to squeeze even more of the wiring/electronics in there.
Once the board was ready, I temporarily put all the hardware parts in roughly the right locations to gauge how much space will be taken up and how long the wiring should be. I have removed the AX-S1 sensor, as I probably won’t have much use for it. I think the Raspberry will sit much better on top of the torso rather than on the back, where the old CM-5 used to be. It’s very tempting to turn the screen into a VR face! As you can see, it will be a struggle to mount the massive 5500 mAh battery on the back, so I am planning on downsizing.
Here are some work-in-progress pictures plus a video: